We’ve officially been back from Iceland for a month and I still feel like I left a part of my heart there. #wanderlustproblems
I’ve taken the last few weeks to travel some more, settle back into the daily grind + think back on what was arguably one of the best trips I have EVER been on. I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a day I don’t think about those cute little horses on the side of the road, the endless singing in the car with my favorite gals and all the memories made in epic spots like The Blue Lagoon. I got to travel to Iceland with 5 girlfriends and I came back with a lifetime of memories + even closer friendships than before.
So here’s to sharing a little bit from my favorite trip, with photos by my favorite photographer, Elyse of Plum & Oak Photo. We were even lucky enough to shoot for Krochet Kids while we were there and basically became a walking billboard for Sorel’s. So yeah.
Being the planner that I am, I took all the girls wishlist spots and put together a loose itinerary. I’ll share what we did each day and the must see spots for food + drinks, because let’s be honest, food + drinks are the important things in life. So let me pour a glass of champs and get to sharing the good stuff! Enjoy friends!
– We touched down at 4:10am from a fun flight on WOW Air. We expected nothing from this airline and were so surprised to see the cutest stewardesses ever and greeted to a little dance of the Northern Lights as we were making our way in. Definitely recommend this flight option for a cheap way to get to Iceland.
– Picked up our rental cars from Sad Cars– they were literally just that. But Sally + Carla (as we named our cars) and all of their 300,000+ miles (each!) got us through 7 days just fine!
– Explored downtown Reykjavik + Hallgrímskirkja Church.
– Had the most amazing swiss mocha from The Laundromat Cafe. If I could just hire one of those baristas to come personally make my mocha’s each morning, I would.
– Viewed Strokkur Geyser, right off the main highway. I also snagged a croissant from their cafe inside and it was uhhh-mazing!
– Snorkeled the Silfra Fissure in 34 degree water! Total #bucketlist item right here! It’s located in Thingvellir National Park and is where the North American + Eurasian tectonic plates meet. In other words, #epic.
– We finished off the day with a little hike out to Bruarfoss Waterfall- the prettiest, bluest water my eyes ever did see.
– Ate at Kol– by far my favorite meal + cocktail of the trip!
– We explored more of the Golden Circle with stops at the impressive Gulfoss Waterfall + Kerid Crater.
– Finished off the afternoon at The Secret Lagoon in Fludir. Warm water= pure heaven!
– Blue Lagoon– ALL DAY. Literally best part of the trip. I don’t know what I liked more, the food at their restaurant LAVA, the fact I got to lay around in silky blue water for 8 hours, or that I got to swim up and order whatever drink I wanted, whenever I wanted, or that I got serenaded by a true Icelandic man (shout out to Kowdy!) passing out algae masks. Literally everything was magic!
– Finished off the most perfect day ever with a night out in the town at the local bar, Lebowski’s! Apparently nightlife in Iceland starts at the rightful hour of 2am so we got the party started early by singing 90’s hits with some Icelandic girls on the dance floor and watched the crowds pour in late into the night. I got made fun of for ordering a mojito with gin (thanks Elyse!) so don’t do that. haha
– Traveled from Reykjavik to Vik and saw Seljalandfoss + Skógafoss Waterfalls along the way.
– Braved the long 2 mile walk to the DC3 plane crash at sunset. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen!
– We slept in because we were, well, tired AF. After mustering up enough energy to get out of the house for the day (and with a quick stop at the grocery store because they are open strange hours like 11am-4pm) we headed to Black Sands Beach. We saw Basalt Columns and explored the mountainside + ridges + Dyrhólaey arch, reenacting Bieb’s + Dierks Bentley’s music videos… stay tuned.
– Traveled to Hofn (The Lobster Capital of Europe) via a stop at Fjallsárlón glacier. Highlight of the day for sure!
– Saw Jökulsálrón aka Glacier Lagoon and took in the icebergs literally floating down the water. So pretty!
– Ate one more amazing meal at Sandholt Reykjavik. The pastries had me wishing I could sneak them all in my suitcase!
– Were greeted by those purple suited WOW Air stewardess and slept our 8 hour journey home!
All I have to say is… TAKE ME BACK!
*Disclaimer: Elyse of Plum & Oak Photo took the (clearly) professional photos. The snorkerling pics were taken by our lovely guide, Astrid, + there are some iPhone pics mixed in too*